BreadVault is a tool to help you teach a child and yourself fiscal responsibility. It’s also my job! Here’s how to add a goal using our iPhone app.
- Install BreadVault using the App Store.
- Touch “Log in with Facebook”.
- Add a family member. If you don’t have kids, add yourself. Set allocation sliders to 100% Save (you can change this later).
- Log in as the family member you just added and scan a barcode (see photos, below). Don’t worry if the price isn’t right, you can change this later, too.
The next time you’re in line at the store, add a goal instead of making a discretionary purchase!
- For some more why and what about BreadVault, see How my 3-year-old bought herself The Lorax.
- iPhone+Facebook is probably the easiest and most convenient (but definitely not the only) way to use BreadVault. BreadVault HD is the iPad-optimized version. And of course there’s our full-featured website. We’ve got plans to support Android and Windows 8, too, so keep your eyes peeled for those.
- You added this goal when logged in as a family member. To make progress towards the goal, add funds using the Family Dashboard. Touch the upper leftmost corner of the app, and touch “Family Dashboard”. Try adding, say, $2 per week to the family member. To check goal progress, log out, then in as the family member. Touch the piggy bank to view Save goals.
- Once the goal is met, a blue Buy button will appear next to the goal progress bar. Use that to purchased the earned item.
- Saving for discretionary purchases is one facet of fiscal responsibility. Charity and investments are others, so next time check out the Give and Invest channels!