Bachelors, health nuts, frugal folks, check this out.
Some rainy night, do this:
- Buy a bunch of bulk spelt, red winter wheat, and barley from the bulk section of your grocery store.
- Add 2/3 cup of each grain to a large pot (2 cups / 500 mL total grains).
- Add 8 cups (2 L) water.
- Bring to and keep boiling uncovered for 45 minutes.
Throw it in the fridge. Heat some up in the morning and dress it like oatmeal. I like honey and whole milk. Try stuff like fresh/dried fruit, brown sugar too. Freezes well.
45 minutes means the wheat and spelt will be chewy. That’s how I like it.
- Add 2 cups (500 mL) raw pinto beans to a crockpot.
- Cover with 3-4 inches (8-10 cm) water.
- Cook on low for about 8 hours overnight.
Dress with like sliced fresh raw tomatoes, salsa, cottage cheese, sour cream, salt and pepper. Leftovers keep well for up to a week in the fridge, or freeze ’em.
Thanks Forest M and Pam W for the inspirations!
Odds & Ends
These grains/legumes/whatever are so tasty on their own. Seriously, why the heck do we need raisin bran and corn flakes?!
What’s your favorite breakfast?
For more fun, check out oat groats, amaranth, quinoa, and kasha.
Suggestions/corrections/feedback welcome. Yes Patrick, even your lovely trolling is welcome.