Thanks to Doree for posting my question about keeping Mason Bees in city limits. Turns out the bees are harmless to humans and pets, and do some seriously helpful pollinating!
I’m having a great time at the Google Summer of Code 2009 mentor summit. The people are cool. The un-conference talks are fantastic: community building, mentoring, project hosting, etc. But this post isn’t about all that, this is about the Googleplex itself. Notables:
- “microkitchens”: snacks, coffee, drinks, and a vending machine with prices based on nutritional value (corn nuts: 15 cents, candy bar 4 dollars)
- volleyball, pool, massage chair, books, games
- Toto washlet toilets
- “refer a friend” promos every 20 feet
- coding case studies in the toilet stalls
With Vim, “:set bomb”, then “:set fenc=utf-16le”, then write the file to disk.
From the command line: “uconv -t –add-signature -t UTF-16LE in.txt -o out.txt”.
Found on this Slashdot thread:
- ASUS motherboards now ship with an embedded mini Linux distribution to give you Web browsing and Skype in seconds
- A pretty cool-looking bootable os and desktop written entirely in assembly
Based on this review I bought a Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000. I ignored all the red tape and “Run The Installer First!” warnings on the packaging, and plugged it in to my Ubuntu 8.04 laptop. And it worked immediately. Yay! Skype, Cheese, both work. Video sharing via Flash (like for Dimdim) doesn’t work, so no extra credit, yet. :)